Here are my top 10 training tips:
1) Training should be breed specific - certain breeds have certain genetic instincts which can only be controlled, not removed!
2) Keep training sessions short and do a little but often
3) If you start having problems, call in an expert before the problem becomes a huge issue!
4) If you own more than one dog, train them individually
5) Train new behaviours in lots of different environments, so the behaviour doesn't become linked to that environment
6) Never train when you are in a bad mood!
7) Don't shout at or punish your dog if he doesn't understand. Training should be mainly reward based.
8) Be precise about what you are asking your dog to do and make your signals clear.
9) Listen carefully to what your instructor/trainer tells you.
10) Have fun and enjoy spending time with your dog!